Monday, August 2, 2010

Israel - the land stolen from Palestine

[edit, 8/19/10]I want to make it clear before you read that I am addressing only one or two ideas that seem to be prevalent among my friends and acquaintances. I in no ways wish to elude to or incite any kind of hatred against the Israeli people. I love these people just as much as anyone else, and everyone holds false ideas. Perhaps my idea is false. I don't believe it is, but it could be. The point is, I'm just challenging you to really think about why you believe what you believe. I'm not picking on anybody. This, I should have made clear in the original post.[/edit]

The nation of Israel is made up of a bunch of European Jews who decided that they should steal Palestine from those who owned the land. When the New Testament speaks of "Israel," it is not speaking of the land of Israel, but of the people under the New Covenant - the Christians. So trying to defend "Israel" the country is absolute idiocy... it is not their land, they are not God's people, and many lives are lost by their occupation of Palestine.

I do not hate Jews - I love the Jewish people, just as I love all people. There is a special kinship between the Jews and Christians, though. Just because I am opposed to the nation of Israel does not mean I am opposed to the Jewish people. I pray for peace for all people... and for Israel to relinquish their claims on the Palestinian soil must needs mean increased peace in the Middle East. Many Christians believe that they are fighting to defend the "Holy Land," but do not realize that there is no longer a physical temple for God... WE ARE HIS TEMPLE. "Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple." (1 Corinthians 3:16-17 ESV)

---

I felt led to share this because I think that many Christians get distracted over the issue of the nation of Israel. If people look past their religious preconceptions and realize what is actually going on in the Middle East, I think many would realize what a losing war we are fighting in Israel. I do not mean to say that there is something wrong with opinions or convictions or doctrine... on the contrary - these are all necessary, but we must make sure we have right opinions, convictions, and doctrine. The idea that Israel is a "Holy Land" for Christians is false. The Palestinians occupied the land for hundreds of years before WW II when the Jews decided they had the "right" to move back. This is errant thinking. I believe the Jews have no right to live in the land of Israel, and if they wish to have peace, they should up and move.

Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Cara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cara said...

Ah, so you must have been the one I remember talking about this issue. Here's some facts to consider... (copied and pasted from my studies last year on the 1900's)
Events leading to the establishment of Israel from an Arab/Palestinian perspective:
Under the Ottomans, Arabs began to feel more and more oppressed. Then, when the Turks were defeated, they felt liberated, ready to have their own country. Then the French and British mandate authorities arrived, and with them, the third aliyah ("ascent"-flight of Jews to Israel en masse). Already Jews had been coming, now they were coming in greater numbers. They were taking up land and resources and giving little to nothing back. Already the British seemed to be showing favoritism (i.e. Balfour Declaration). They protested, holding strikes en masse and presenting their claims to the British. Then the British wrote the White Paper. Understandably, the Arabs were thrilled-they would have their land at last! But the British reneged on this, giving the problem to the UN to decide. And yes, they ended up with a country, but not the one they expected or wanted-they had to share with the Jews! (who they had fast learned to hate). (This was the original plan, called "Partition"- a similar-but-different plan is currently in place) What could they do but go to war? And then they were defeated by a puny, ill-equipped, disorganized force. Talk about adding insult to injury!

Palestinians/Arabs justify their claims on Israel by…
-the UN resolution that they should be given a homeland
-their previous occupation of the territory involved
-Israel’s occupation of some of the territory by force

Jews justify their claims on Israel by…
-their ancestral claims on it
-“consolation prize” for the Holocaust
-reward for service during the WWs
-initial (think WWI) Palestinian/Arab acquiescence
-UN/Allied support and establishment

I think you're oversimplifying to say that the reason we support Israel is because of the "Holy Land"/temple, but it is good to reevaluate common opinions. Mine will be coming eventually after I think about it some ;-).

Cara said...

FYI, the reason the "comment was deleted by the author" (which sounds really bad) is because I somehow posted the same comment twice...

Wesley said...

Oh, yes, I certainly wasn't examining every viewpoint, I was just challenging one or two common ideas. My point was not that the Palestinians are completely blameless in the matter, but that people need to know that Israel isn't perfect.

I think you know more about the matter than I do. haha

I think I would still tend to side with the Palestinians in the argument, but it is definitely good to hear more of the facts. Thanks for your input, Cara. =)